From the result of a majority vote between the moderators, it has been decided that:
Television will be on topic for this site.
I think with this, it is time to shape the FAQ from more than just the general beta description.
If the title:
- Has had a major theatrical release (recent examples: Sherlock Holmes 2, Girl With the Dragon Tattoo)
- Is a television release and stand alone (not related to a TV series, a la Hallmark channel or original HBO movie)
- Is direct-to-DVD release (Butterfly Effect 3, any Asylum movie)
- Is a major fictional Television Series (House, Dexter, etc)
- Is a tie-in movie for a series (Need better examples)
It should be On-Topic.
- Works of Non-Fiction (News shows, need some more examples here too)
- "Reality" Shows of any kind (Teen Mom, American Idol, Bachelor)
Are Off-Topic for this site.
Edit: Tie-in movie clarification.
My intention is that if a film has a Theatrical Release, then it is automatically on-topic. Examples being Serenity (Ending of Firefly); this is on-topic because the movie got a theatrical release and questions about the production of the movie are perfectly fine to ask. Also, asking questions about episodes of Firefly will be On-Topic.
A similar case can be made for Star Trek. There are at least 9 or so Star Trek movies and each question about one of them will be On-topic. Also, questions about specific episodes of Star Trek are On-Topic for the scope of this site.
Edit 2: Serial TV series clarification.
With some more thought, I think the intention of this point was to show that TV series that have longer than normal episodes (50-90 min without commercials) are still On-topic, as well as Mini-Series (The Pacific, Band of Brothers, Tin Man etc) are all On-Topic.